Do I need Planning Permission for a Shed, Workshop, Log Cabin or Garden Office or Gazebo.?

The biggest thing to remember is not to worry, if you have any questions please contact the team as we are always more than happy to help, It is always best to check with your local planning authority, we will help you do this.

As a rule best practice as of March 2013 is below - for a link to the Government Planning Portal, see link here. (http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/outbuildings/) Timber Buildings South West are not a planning authority, so the below is a general set of guidelines, as opposed to anything which is set in stone, please do check with your local authority if unsure or contact the team so we can help..  

Outbuildings must not cover more than half the area of land around the "original house".

You must apply for planning if your building or structure is to be used for running a business or storing commercial goods.

You must apply for planning for separate self-contained living accommodation and for microwave antennas.
Garden buildings are not permitted development forward of the principal elevation of your house. This means the house as it was originally built or as it stood on 1 July 1948.

Buildings or structures that are positioned within 2 metres of your boundary (in England) must not exceed 2.5m in height. We can design your garden office, summerhouse or log cabin to be under 2.5m in height to keep the planners happy!

Buildings or structures that are positioned more than 2 metres from your boundary must not exceed 3 metres in height, or more than 4 metres high with a ridged roof. (Most of our buildings are under 4 metres in height).

You must apply for planning permission if your house is listed, you live within a conservation area, a national park or the broads, an area of outstanding natural beauty (A.O.B.) or a world heritage site. In these areas, the total area of any building (more than 20 metres from the wall of your house) must not exceed 10 sqm.

What are your prices and quality compare to your competitors?

With over 35 years’ experience we are proud of our reputation for providing a first class service from the time you contact us right through the design and construction of your new Summer house or log cabin, Home Office or workshop with an excellent after care team.

We build and design all our buildings within the UK using the latest technology and equipment which lowers our general operating cost, which means we are able to pass this saving onto our customers. We monitor our online and off line competitors and are very confident, for a like to like product we will not be beaten on price.
Before you buy from an anonymous online company ask one of the team to do a FREE no obligation design meeting so you are able to see what makes Timber Buildings South West stand out from the rest.

What access will you need to deliver my shed?

Do not to worry about it, let our delivery and installation team deal with it, our onsite inspection before we deliver your shed or log cabin or other garden building we will deal with any problems.

Why should I buy a shed, summer house or log cabin, workshop or garden office from Timber Buildings South West?

We us the latest technology to deliver the best service and product available in the UK, we pride ourselves manufacturing a bespoke design in our UK factory from a small garden shed to a large home office.

We offer a totally free design meeting and a no pressure process, we pride ourselves on our service and products and designs.

If you want to read over our standard term of business please click (T&C's) if you have any questions just contact the team.

Do I need to do anything to the timber?
The simply answer is yes.

Your bespoke building is made from timber and is porous, and is an organic product and is subject to naturally changes which can result from different environmental conditions, for example if you live by the sea or in a very damp area.

It can change colour or have surface splits and can even shrink and warp as this is all natural changes which can sometimes happen. 
We recommend that all the buildings are treated with a suitable water repellent or paint product to protect the timber from the elements as soon as possible.

Some of our products are made from a tanalised timber but we would still recommend looking after this is the same way.

We would recommend talking to a local paint supplier for recommendations on what product to use, as you can image the market chances regularly with new options, if you have any questions please ask the team for some advice.

We have attached PDF for you to look over, ( Download PDF )

Contact Us

Share by: